Washington, D.C. – Rep. Lucy McBath (GA-06) and colleagues in the House of Representatives unveiled a new framework for a five-year, $760 billion investment to create an estimated 10 million jobs addressing some of the country’s most urgent infrastructure needs. The comprehensive plan addresses the massive maintenance backlog, designs streets that are safe for pedestrians and cyclists, increases resiliency, and modernizes infrastructure to address transportation challenges and bottlenecks. This framework bolsters the Federal role to help communities around the country undertake transformative projects that are smarter, safer, and made to last.
“I came to Congress to work on issues facing everyday Americans, like fixing outdated infrastructure across the country and making it easier for communities in the metro-Atlanta area to carry out projects to solve our transportation challenges,” said McBath. “I’m proud to support this plan, because I believe it is the roadmap we need to build the infrastructure of the future. I look forward to coming together to work together to move forward and modernize American infrastructure.”
The framework outlines major investments, including those in surface transportation, rail and transit systems, airports, ports and harbors, wastewater and drinking water infrastructure, brownfields and broadband. Plans for surface transportation improvement will deliver better roads and bridges more quickly by prioritizing fixing broken, outdated infrastructure, including the 47,000 structurally deficient bridges across the country, 22 of which are in Georgia’s Sixth Congressional District.
The package includes bold infrastructure investments that are smarter, safer and made to last – with a framework that:
- Brings existing infrastructure into a state of good repair and enables the completion of critical projects through long-term, sustainable funding.
- Sets a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector, creating jobs, protecting our natural resources, promoting environmental justice and increasing resiliency to climate change.
- Ensures a transportation system that is green, affordable, reliable, efficient and provides access to jobs.
- Provides safe, clean and affordable water and wastewater services.
- Prioritizes the safety of the traveling public.
- Helps combat climate change by creating good-paying jobs in clean energy, investing in energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas pollution.
- Expands broadband internet access, adoption for unserved and underserved rural, suburban and urban communities.
- Modernizes 9-1-1 public safety networks.
- Creates family-wage jobs with Davis-Bacon and other strong worker protections.
- Supports U.S. industries, including steel and manufacturing, through strong Buy America protections.